Doctoral studies are conducted at the W. Szafer Institute of Botany of Polish Academy of Sciences (IB PAS) since 2000 as "Doctoral Study of Natural Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Kraków". The Doctoral Study is run by IB PAS and the Institute of Systematics and Evolution of Animals of Polish Academy of Sciences (ISEA PAS). Additionally, the Franciszek Górski Institute of Plant Physiology Polish Academy of Sciences (IPP PAS) and the Institute of Nature Conservation Polish Academy of Sciences (INC PAS) participate in the education of doctoral students. The Doctoral Study educates doctoral students in biological sciences within following research topics which result from the mission of the Institutes organizing doctoral studies:
- biodiversity, taxonomy, ecology and evolution of plants, animals, fungi and other microorganisms, both present and fossil;
- physiology, biochemistry, plant and animal genetics;
- protection of the diversity of species, habitats, ecosystems and the processes that shape this diversity.
The principles of operation, the educational program as well as the rights and obligations of the doctoral student can be found in Regulations and other relevant documents. According to the amendment to the Act on Higher Education, recruitment for doctoral studies at the Doctoral Study is not conducted from 2019, and on December 31, 2023, this form of doctoral education will be closed. From 2019, doctoral students are educated only at the Doctoral School.
Doctoral Study Authorities
Head of the Doctoral Study
Dr Grażyna Szarek-Łukaszewska
Deputy Head of the Doctoral Study
Dr Agnieszka Bednarska
Doctoral Study Council
The Council of the Doctoral Study of Natural Sciences PAS consists of the directors of the Institutes running the Doctoral Study, representatives of the Scientific Councils of these Institutes and representatives of doctoral students.
- Dr Grażyna Szarek-Łukaszewska – head of the Doctoral Study
- Professor Lucyna Śliwa – director of IB PAS
- Professor Franciszek Janowiak – director of IPP PAS
- Dr Elżbieta Wilk-Woźniak – director of INC PAS
- Dr Sebastian Tarcz – director of ISEA PAS
- Dr Paweł Kapusta – representative of the Scientific Council, IB PAS
- Professor Iwona Żur – representative of the Scientific Council, IPP PAS
- Professor Henryk Okarma – representative of the Scientific Council, INC PAS
- Dr Łukasz Kajtoch – representative of the Scientific Council, ISEA PAS
- Joanna Kołodziejczyk – representative of doctoral students
- Miron Gieniec – representative of doctoral students
Doctoral Students Affairs
The doctoral studies focus on new achievements in biology and on the expansion of knowledge in statistics and philosophy of nature. The courses are led by specialists employed in Institutes organizing the Doctoral Study or in other scientific units.
The doctoral student conducts research and participates in courses included in the education program as both compulsory and optional courses. The study lasts four years, but in justified cases this time may be shortened to three or extended to six years.
Regular doctoral studies are conducted in Polish. Foreign doctoral students study on an individual basis.
- Program of doctoral studyPDF
- Organization of the academic year 2022-2023PDF
- Organization of the academic year 2023-2024PDF
During the studies, after each semester, the doctoral student submits a report on his scientific activity and implementation of the study program. At the end of the academic year, the PhD student participates in the Scientific Reporting Session to presents the results and progress in research.
A doctoral student may receive a doctoral scholarship. The number of doctoral scholarships and their amount is determined by the directors of the Institutes conducting doctoral studies. The minimum amount of the doctoral scholarship may not be lower than 60% of the minimum basic salary of an assistant. The doctoral scholarship is awarded at the request of the doctoral student after a positive opinion on the application by the scholarship committee according to the criteria set out in the doctoral scholarship regulations.
- Announcement about the doctoral scholarship (2022/2023)PDF
- Regulations on the award of fellowships (2022/2023)PDF
- Application for doctoral scholarship in the academic year 2022/2023DOC
A doctoral student may receive a director's scholarship for outstanding achievements. The scholarship is financed from funds allocated to material support for doctoral students and awarded as part of a competition. The rules of the competition can be found in the relevant documents.
Does not apply to foreigners.
Other Scholarships Opportunities
- National Science Centre
- Foundation for Polish Science
- Polish Academy of Sciences
- Ministry of Science and Education
Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from public funds, art. 86 sec. 1 points 6 and 14 (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 1373) obliges research units educating doctoral students to register for health insurance and pay the doctoral students' contribution:
- when the students concerned submit an appropriate declaration that they are not subject to obligatory health insurance on a different basis;
- when the students concerned are or will be educated in Poland and are considered persons of Polish origin within the meaning of the repatriation regulations or have a valid Pole's Card and are not subject to health insurance otherwise.
According to Art. 66 sec. 2 of the above Act, research units providing education for doctoral students are exempt from the obligation to insure a doctoral student who has the status of a family member of the insured person, i.e. who is:
- an own child, spouse's child, adopted child, grandson or a foreign child for whom care has been established, or a foreign child as part of a foster family or family orphanage until they turn 18, and if they continue their education at school, in an educational institution teachers, universities or research units conducting doctoral studies – until the age of 26, and if they have a certificate of severe disability or other conditions treated equally – no age limit;
- a spouse;
- ascendant staying with the insured in the same household.
More information (only in Polish) on the website of the Ministry of Science and Education.
Doctoral Students' Council
The Doctoral Students' Council represents PhD students of both the Doctoral Studies of Natural Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Doctoral School of Natural and Agricultural Sciences and defends their rights, spreads the idea of providing mutual assistance in scientific and legal matters, and integrates doctoral students by initiating activities for this purpose. The Doctoral Students' Council actively participates in the work of the National Representation of Doctoral Students and the Doctoral Students' Council of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Joanna Kołodziejczyk (Chairman)
- Miron Gieniec (Deputy Chairman)
- Kinga Szczepanik (Secretary)
- Julia Stachurska
- Anna Marchewka
Student Affairs Office
Opening hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00–14:30; address: W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS, Lubicz 46, 31-512 Kraków (Room 12).
Head of the Doctoral School
Dr Grażyna Szarek-Łukaszewska
Hours for students: Monday, 10:00–12:00; address: W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS, Lubicz 46, 31-512 Kraków.
Deputy Head of the Doctoral School
Dr Agnieszka Bednarska
Hours for students: Tuesday, 10:00–12:00; address: Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, Adama Mickiewicza 33, 31-120 Kraków.
Documents to Download
Forms of documents in English necessary during the studies are available at the Deputy Head of the Doctoral Study
- Acts and regulations of the Ministry of Education and Science (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – Institute of Nature Conservation PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – Institute of Systematics and Evolution of Animals PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – F. Górski Institute of Plant Physiology PAS (only in Polish)